Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tri Season Is Coming

So, I just realized today that tri (athlon) season is quickly approaching.  It's February already!  I'm thinking about signing up for the Kinetic Sprint, which is in early May this year.  That means I have t-minus 3 months to get back into tri shape.  I already entered the Nation's Tri, an international distance race, which is in September.   More time to train, but longer distances to go. 
 
Last time I swam was in October, and I only swam once that whole month.  Coming back from a long swimming layoff SUCKS because I'll have zero endurance.  At least I will have knowledge from last season about stroke technique and how to train.  Last year I didn't even know to breathe out under water.  I was trying to breathe out and in with my mouth above water...DUH...that doesn't work.  

Also, I haven't been on my road bike since October or November...so long that I can't remember exactly when.  The last ride was to work with Kevin...33 miles round trip.  Even though those rides to work shredded me, I increased my endurance alot.  Of course, I've been mountain biking several times, but it's not the same as time on the road.  

I'm looking forward to getting back into the pool and on the road bike.  One of the reasons I like triathlon is the variety amongst the sports invovled.  When I'm burnt out with one sport, like I will be with running after the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, I get to focus on the others.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey man getting out on the bike is getting out on the bike. Getting out for some solid rides on the mountain bike will help build up the cycling specific leg muscles and in the end make you stronger and faster on the road bike. Not saying it's a complete replacement but don't write it off that much!

    I also think we need to be looking into doing an Xterra race this season. You've got the bike now...

    ReplyDelete