Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hopefully, I'm Really Back This Time

I went to my doc today about the hip pain.  After I made the appointment on Friday, I started doing some IT band stretches, which helped alot.  By Monday, I wasn't experiencing any pain at all.  I almost cancelled my appointment this morning, but I kinda forgot to do so within 24 hours.  

I'm glad I went.  My diagnosis (woe...that makes it sound serious) is an infected inflammed bursa sac.  The outside of the hip has a fluid filled sac (a bursa) that is supposed lubricate between the Iliotibial (IT) band, a tendon, and the hip.  The bursa becomes inflammed when the ITB tightens.  According to WebMD, it is more common in middle-aged to elderly women rather than ounger men...yeay me.  It can also be called Iliotibial Band Syndrome

Rx:  ice, ibuprofen, stretching

My doc poked, prodded, and told me that I was good to go for running again as long as I take it slow. 

I was planning to go to the gym at lunch...stretch, bike or row for 15 minutes, and stretch some more.  But I decided to walk/run/walk for 15 minutes instead.  I did feel something this afternoon in the hip area, but I did some ITB stretches a couple times at work.  Then, I stretched my legs completely when I got home.  

Feeling good...great knowing that I can sort-of run again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment