Thursday, February 5, 2009

Race Recap Blast From The Past

With not running in the last week, I'm running out of material. So, it's time to reach into the vault for a race recap of the 2008 JerseyMan Sprint Triathlon.

The 2008 JMST was run September 28th at the Spruce Run Recreation Area in Clinton, NJ. Race stats: 0.6 mi swim, 19.5 mi bike, and 3.1 mi (5k) run. Why they had a 0.6 mi swim when the standard sprint distance is 0.45 mi (750m), I don't know, but I wish it would have been the standard distance. This was my first triathlon...my first race of any kind since middle school track. They also had a Half IronMan race going on too, which Kevin did. You can read his race recap here.

Greasing my chain the night before


The race was scheduled to start at 7:30 am. We wanted to get there at least an hour before the start and eat breakfast, meaning we got up really early. I don't remember how early exactly, but 5:30 am sounds about right. We got to the race venue right at 6:30 am and made our way to the transition area. The sky was covered solid with clouds and it was still foggy...a little bit eery. I watched a video online about transition area setup the week before, so I knew to bring a towel. Being in the 25-29 age group, which is supposed to be fast, my transistion rack was the first one inside the entrance.

Kevin and I went to the registration area to get marked with race numbers then made our way back to transition for final checks. Everything looked good to me.  What didn't sound good was that the DJ (on hand throughout race day) kept anouncing that they were still looking for volunteers for the bike course.  The family showed up shortly thereafter to begin the long day of cheering. Thanks to Jenny, Mom, Aimee, Dad, and the dogs for coming out to show some support! I donned my rented wetsuit and headed toward the beach.

Trying to figure out why I didn't study the bike course


The start area


The course was open for warm up swimming, so I jumped in to get a feel for the water. IT WAS COLD! Even with a wetsuit (no sleeves) on it was freezing. I set up all the way on the right where I knew not too many other people would be. I'd never swam in a pack like this and I didn't know how I would react to other swimmers running over me. The whislte blew and off I went. Everything was fine, except I couldn't breathe very well. The wetsuit was just a tad tighter than comfortable, which constricted my chest, the water was cold, and I think I was freaking out a bit. While training, I settled in on a breath every four strokes, but I had to breath every 2 during the race. The lake was like swimming in Yoohoo, brown and no visibility. Aside from breathing, my biggest issue was swimming straight. Pools have lines on the bottom...easy to follow. In Yoohoo, there are no lines. The only landmarks are the buoys, of which there were only 3. Needless to say, I learned how to spot (pull myself out of the water every couple strokes to look at the buoy and adjust) on the job.

Swim - 24:02 (89th of 187)

Coming out of the water, I felt light headed and couldn't run. I meekly jogged between the cones back to transition to get ready for the bike. Sometime during the swim, it started raining, which got all my stuff soaked. The wetsuit came off fairly easily considering how difficult other racers made it sound beforehand. While bending over to put on my socks, I still felt light headed. To avoid passing out, I sat on the ground to put my socks and cycling shoes on.

T1 - 4:54

My jersey is sticking...yuck!

Sitting down = SLOW transition


To the road and beyond!

My light headedness went away and I actually felt good on the bike.  I hit 33.5 mph going down a hill about a mile from the start...SWEET!  Not too long into the ride, my number fell off my bike because soaking wet paper doesn't hold up well at my light speeds.  I started checking my distance on the odometer a couple miles in...and my legs began to feel it.  I asked myself...WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING OUT HERE?!?  The exhaustion combined with knowing I wasn't halfway through the race yet made me question the point of continuing.  What did I really have to prove anyway?  

About ten miles in, the biggest climb of the day awaited.  I popped into 2nd gear or something an started cranking away.  Finally, at the top of the hill I was somewhat amongst a pack...now we're cruising.  Then, I heard someone in a van yelling at one of the pack leaders.  JERK.  Well, not exactly because the leader turned around (with about 15 others) and informed me that we were going the wrong way.  See, at the top of the big climb there was a left hand turn.  Unfortunately, there wasn't a volunteer at the intersection and the STUPID LITTLE SIGN THEY PUT UP WAS BARELY VISIBLE!  Yes, I went about a mile off the course and a mile back. After the race, I heard alot of people say they missed a turn too, so at least it wasn't just my pack.  The rest of the bike ride went smoothly.   

Bike - 1:16:21 (114th, not bad for going 2 extra miles)

The second transition was much easier because all I had to do was change shoes.  Easy really. 

T2 - 1:21


T2 - The Terminator...Where's Arnold?

As I started the run, it felt like my legs were made of lead...very heavy. I passed two people on the run. One was a woman who completely stopped while drinking at an aid station. She immediately passed me back. And the other was a 70 yeard old dude...who started 15 minutes after me by the way. I only felt like I was going to puke three times during the run...not too bad.

Hanging in there

Coming down the home stretch was wonderful. The feeling I had as I crossed the finish line is hard to describe...a great feeling of accomplishment, especially while overcoming all the mental doubts and tough training days.

Run - 25:33 (116th)


Almost there

Feeling strong!

Looking great!

Overall - 2:12:11 (110th; 7th of 12 age group; 78th of 122 male)


Just after Kevin finished the Half...I got to shower and change...he stunk

Crappy weather and complete exhaustion...what a great day.  I can't wait to do it again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment