Sunday, March 8, 2009

Some Say Suck It Up

I had some interesting discussions yesterday with Kevin. He's been laid up all week, recovering from wisdom teeth removal. I wanted to head over to REI to spend my 2008 dividend on another bike mount for my rack. Kevin wanted to go too. I suggested that we get a short road ride in because of the 60+ degree (F) temperatures.

I had a 3 mile run to do before I could go out. To make a long story short, I finished the 3 miles, but I had to stop at least 4 times for thorough stretching during the run just to finish. 37 minutes of run time (really slow) took me at least 50 minutes clock time. Needless to say, I finished, but my legs weren't in that great of shape.

I decided that a road ride wasn't the best idea as I need to give my legs as much rest as possible. This disappointed Kevin greatly because he had been waiting all week to ride. As usual with the two of us, the mood was a bit adversarial because everything has to be a competition and neither one of us likes to admit defeat.

Kevin told me to suck it up and quit whining about my legs. I tried to explain that I wanted to ride just as much as he did and that I was dissappointed too. I may have thrown an "I hope you get a repeptitve injury some day so that you might understand" in there. Uncalled for, but boys will be boys. My point was that I am sucking it up in an attempt to still run the Cherry Blossom race.

So what's better, sucking it up by playing trough the pain or resting?

If I rest, then I shouldn't be training at all for the Cherry Blossom race, and I probably wouldn't train for much of anything at all because it seems that something always aches more than I'd like. That doesn't work. But I don't want to suck it up when I shouldn't and cause real problems down the line.

It's a delicate balance. Yesterday, I drew the line between my run and a road ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment