Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Found My Savior On The Trails

Easter Sunday was a perfect day to ride some new (to me) trails at Shaffer Farm in Germantown, MD. Shaffer Farm offers about 10 miles of rolling singletrack with plenty of obstacles to play on. There are tons of logs to go over and tree trunks to traverse (for those that are so inclined).

One of the toys to play on

Kevin is working on his tree trunk rides

I met Kevin after his bike patrol ride along training at Black Hills Park, which is nearby.  We rode most of what Shaffer has to offer and loved every second of it.  Mild climbs warmed us up enough so that the down hills were exciting and the stream crossing splashes refreshing.  

I did try a short tree trunk ride.  As soon as I got on the trunk I lost all momentum and hopped off.  I'm still working on the multiple log piles such as the one below.  I didn't make it over this one this time.  Mine is more of a mental block (or challenge if I may) opposed to the 3 foot tall log pile.   I get intimidated by the obstacle, which makes me cautious instead of just going for it.  

I'm still trying to work myself up for going over log piles like this


After riding about 10 miles at Shaffer, I suggested we try some of the Hoyles Mill Connector Trail. It connects Shaffer Farm to Black Hill Park. Kevin and I tried to ride there once before, but the trail was waaaaay too muddy. This time, it was in great shape. The opening of Hoyles Mill (from Shaffer) contains alot of rocks. I've heard of rock gardens. I don't know if this qualifies, but to me it counts. There are enough rocks that one has to look ahead to pick a line that won't run into big rock. There's one part where the trail goes between two big rocks (maybe 2 feet across) with just enough room for a bike. Between the two rocks there's a big tree root (maybe a foot across). That part always makes me think of the movie Labyrinth, featuring 1986 David Bowie.

Flight of the Conchords is sweet

In all, we rode about 10 miles at Shaffer and another 3-4 on the Hoyles Mill Connector. Next time I'd like to ride more of the Hoyles Mill Connector. It was a nice way to spend Easter Sunday.

A day on the trails is a victorious one

2 comments: