Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tree 1, Me 0

Friday's weather was gorgeous...too gorgeous to work all day and not get on the trails. Kevin simultaneously sent me this email and text, "Cut out early and hit shaffer today? Perfect, perfect, perfect day to ride... Did I mention its perfect out?" at 8:59 am. I hadn't been at work for a half hour yet, but I knew he was right. I left at 12:30.

Kevin was impressed by Shaffer Farm after our first ride there. He wanted to go back and even offered to pick me up. How could I refuse?

Cassie (Kevin's dog) recently tore off two of her paw pads, so she gets to wear these cute booties on the trail now.

Cassie is ready to go

The weather was perfect and the riding superb, except for that pesky tree. We were on a section of trail with several 180 degree turns passing back and forth across a wide, 5 foot deep ditch. I came around a left turn and dropped into the ditch a little off balance. I saw the tree and focused on it. Unfortunately, I was too focused on it...and too close to it. BAM!

There are alot of obstacles (trees, bushes, etc.) that pass close by while mountain biking. The best way to ensure that you'll graze one of those obstacles (or run into one in my case) is too focus on them. When I constantly (and consistently) look down the trail 10-20 ft, obstacles stay out of the way. I must try to remember this in the future.

It stings

Day after upper arm

Day after forearm

How do I even the score with the trees?  Trim some branches?  Pull out leaves?  Or do I have to use a chain saw? 

No comments:

Post a Comment