Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cherry Blossom Race Review

As I exited the porta john, the race director's voiced boomed through the speakers, "5! 4! 3! 2! 1!" And just as I leaped the second chain fence, "GO!" What a way to start my first road race.

I jumped in about 25 yards behind the start line so "GO!" was a bit anticlimactic. The herd of people walked up to the start line where I began a restrained jog. Navigating the crowd was like trying to move to the front at a rock festival. "Elbows out!" Dipak (good friend from college and frequent concert goer) always told me. Right on.

I had to shuffle step several times to avoid running over people. I darted to the outside the first chance I got where the flow forward was less clogged. After a half mile or so, I was able to ease into my stride comfortably. I was pushing my self and my legs felt fresh. My two week layoff helped with that. Typing (speaking) of, two weeks ago (notice the lack of posts?) I knew the 10 miler wasn't happening (at least not without crawling across the finish line at the time limit), so I stopped training and switched to the 5K race. That was a bummer, but reality is sometimes. However, I saw alot of people with 10 miler bibs running the 5K, which made me feel a little better on the inside. I know that shouldn't make me feel better, but it does.

After the pack thinned out, the Memorial Bridge approached along with the "1 Mile" marker. What a beautiful setting: running from the cherry blossoms, across the Potomac, toward Arlington Cemetary. Before I got off the bridge, the leaders passed me going the other way. There was a kid, looked like he was in middle school, in about 5th place. Dude! Getting whooped that badly by a middle schooler is not cool.

As I passed the halfway point, I saw Santa Claus handing out water at the aid station. Thanks for the Xmas offering St. Nick, but no thanks. Back on the bridge, I passed the "2 Mile" marker and my two-week-layoff freshness turned into two-week-layoff rust. I could feel the burn.

I had to push hard through the last mile or so while the trees canopied the road in full bloom..gorgeous! As I crossed the finish line (trying to remain standing), I reflected on the struggle (damn hips!) to get to there. It wasn't the finish line I had hoped to cross, but it felt good nonetheless to cross a finish line.

My time was 26:35 (8:34 pace), which was good for 102nd place overall and 64th male (out of 410). Awesome! Also, I was beat handily by a 71 year old and a 9 year old. Not quite as awesome. Kevin finished the 10 Miler in 1:12:20 for 1044th overall out of 14500+. Way to go Brosef! Check out his eventual race review at Kmax Trax.

The Cherry Blossom race was great. It was well organized with lots of volunteers. THANK YOU volunteers! The setting was amazing, the weather spectacular, and the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. I'll definitely try to get in the 10 miler again next year.

1 comment:

  1. This should turn into a mutual blog for you and Jenny to keep things up to date with the people who like you.

    ReplyDelete