Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Treadmill Trick

like a snow shovel square across the face...many many times...the wind beat me on my way to the gym today...so i decided to run my 3 miles on the treadmill...i should have started this blog in the summer so i wouldn't complain about the cold so much.    

one of the reasons i think running is so boring...i'm not an ipod-while-running-guy because i can't find earphones that i like...earbuds fall out all the time unless i jam them in my ear canals...which mom wouldn't like.  i also tried the ones with the plastic clip that goes over the top of the ear...but those kill me from all the bouncing around.  have suggestions?

running is boring...but running on the treadmill i equate to sitting through one of Ben Stein's classes from Ferris Bueller's Day Off...not a matter of staying awake...but how far the pen will go into my eye socket...at least that might stimulate my brain...Bueller......Bueller....OUCH!  the treadmill is worse because i constantly stare at the time elapsed and distance...calculating how much longer and further i have to go...excrutiating.

i discovered a way around this today...certainly not new to all mankind...but new to me.  i put a Bicycle magazine over the numbers...brilliant...can't see the numbers that way.  turns out i couldn't read the magazine because the text kept moving up and down...so i added another wrinkle...i envisioned the scenery along a 3 mile run route i take sometimes...and quickly realized that i shouldn't be closing my eyes while on a moving treadmill.  i checked on my time elapsed and distance progress about every five minutes and recalibrated the scenery.

now...if only i had packed something other than my fleece lined tights and a long sleeve shirt...the gym woudn't have seemed to be on fire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment